Tuesday 14 July 2009

G.I.L.T. (gadgets I'd love to try).

There are many technological innovations out there that seem to have jumped straight out of sci-fi novels or movies. Many are already available to us; really nice thingamajigs are present in our everyday lives - MP9s, which have TV, phone and radio; bluetooth and infra-red devices, to name just a few of the most common ones. And some of them seem really useful or just fun, but they are either too expensive or way down low in the list of priorities we have. And by we, I mean me of course. But feel free to identify with me.
Some really mind-blowing ideas are still only concepts, and it is amazing that someone has even conceived their ideas.
Nokia has always been a top-of-mind brand for me, and that was before I knew about Morph.

Seems great, doesn't it? And self-cleaning on top of it all?
Now while Morph is not reality, here are some I would like to get my hands on - at least to try.
1) First and foremost, of course, the top wannahave gizmo: the iPhone, with all the features and applets you can download. I saw someone playing theirs like a flute, shaking and rolling dice and many other things. All very nifty.


2) Amazon Kindle or Kindle DX: a snazzy device for reading e-books. Need I say more?



3). A spotme - which honestly gives me the impression of a much improved pager, is an all-in-one communication service for events of all sorts - from 200 to 5000 participants.According to the company site, it "combines social networking via a searchable photo database, messaging, people radar, unique "Spotting" function and electronic business card exchange, with personalized agenda, audience response, Q&A sessions, messaging, lead retrieval, attendance tracking, electronic feedback forms".

I doubt it would be very useful, but it sure is really cute, check it out:


You may be thinking this is a pretty nerdy post, but wait til you see the next one:

4)The tricorder - "a location, orientation, and network-aware handheld device used to interface in real time to a wireless sensor network embedded in surrounding domestic and occupational environment. As the name suggests, the inspiration for the Tricorder comes from the fictional device of the same name from the original Star Trek science fiction television series. The fictional version of the Tricorder was a self-contained device capable of sensing relevant information about whatever it was being pointed at (e.g., life signs 50 meters back, magnetic disturbance above, or plot thickener ahead). Our Tricorder device aims to achieve the same goals, but rather than being self-contained, our Tricorder pulls sensor data off a surrounding wireless sensor network."

From http://www.media.mit.edu/resenv/tricorder/tricorder.htm

5). Sony PSP2, a handheld gaming device that looks really good too.


6). A real 3D photocamera. Wait, 3D photos? I don't even know what that looks like. Wouldn't it be nice to see one of those at work?
This one is the Fuji FinePix Real 3D



From http://www.mobilemag.com/2009/07/13/fuji-finepix-real-3d-shoots-what-you-think-it-does/

And to keep my coffee warm while I use my pc, it would be nice to have one of these:

A USB mug warmer.

Nice, huh? At least I think so.
The question remains though, should one really acquire all these gadgets and get to use them simultaneously, would they still be portable?
Holler if you know of any niftier, newer G.I.L.T.

Gadget Reference:
http://www.mobilemag.com/
AmazonKindle: http://twitthis.com/ix6aup
Fun USB gadgets:http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=258
http://www.readwriteweb.com/

No comments: